Paley Fairman is a Minnesotan music photographer who spends a lot of her time running around covering EDM music festivals. We get about 300 emails from aspiring snappers every week, but her pitch was different. While traveling the world covering "raver fashion" at EDM tests, Paley often finds her camera gravitating towards the fishnet-covered butt cleavage of various females, and occasionally males dressed as females. She went as far as to say that "the prevalence of naked asses is as important to the dubstep scene as the music itself. A cultural revolution? Probably not. But who doesn't love to look at a good butt? Or a gross one, at that."
We were intrigued, so we asked Paley for her top 12 dubstep asses. She agreed, and provided us with this friendly guide to stalking butts at an EDM fest:
2012: A (B)ASS ODYSSEY || 2012: AN ASS ODYSSEY || 2012: A BASED ODYSSEY
Executing a Photographic Study on the Anatomy of the EDM Movement: A Photographer's Notes on Stalking Butts at Music Festivals
• Unfortunately, the use of flash makes stealthy butt-stalking more arduous. Fortunately, excessive use of Molly (known as Mandy in the UK) leaves subjects oblivious to or un-phased by this creepy photo documentation.
• Should anyone catch on to your activity or express concern, simply play dead. You are just another raver asleep on the ground.
• Varying angles allows for a more cohesive study. Examine how the butts interact with their environment. But in crunch time, zoom is your friend.
• Under no circumstances should you make friends with the butts. They may try and lure you towards flattering lighting. You are there to capture the truth and all it's cellulite.
• Crowds can get stressful. When anxiety ensues, take a moment to "express yourself" in a handstand with your legs spread against a wall. Then, if you are so inclined, tweet about how it made to you feel @Diplo.
• Stash a handful of jellybeans in your pocket, just in case.
Ace of Base's Secret Nazi Past
Before he founded Ace of Base, Ulf Ekberg was a member of Commit Suiside, a Nazi punk band.
Parquet Courts - "Light Up Gold Road Trip" (Full Documentary)
In this new documentary, Noisey follows rising indie rockers Parquet Courts from Mexico to Texas and London as they tour to support their debut LP, 'Light Up Gold.'
Yung Lean Doer Is the Weirdest 16-Year-Old White Swedish Rapper You'll Hear This Week
Yung Lean raps over pillow-fluffy beats and raps about glory holes and Arizona Iced Tea. Who the fuck is this kid? And why is he like this?
Adam Ant - The British Masters, Chapter 6
Noisey's John Doran talks with the great post-punk pop star Adam Ant about tribal body mods and layering tape.
Photos: Taking Acid at Coachella
When Paley sent these photos in, she included a nice little caveat over email that we've decided to reprint here in full, not only because it's too good to edit, but because her photographs of her and her weird buddies riding the snake are some of the best
R.I.P. Storm Thorgerson (1944-2013)
On Thursday, the hyper-talented graphic designer, artist, and famed album cover creator Storm Thorgerson passed away after a battle with cancer. He was 69 years old.
The Internet Is Scary
As of six months ago, my Facebook fanpage is like a dojo where hormonal teenagers hone their technique. Here is a heartfelt poem from some kid who wants to rape, kill, and marry me.
I Accidentally Touched Little Richard's Butt One Time
It was in the Detroit airport. After it happened Little Richard said, "He graze my derriere."
Listen to St. Lucia's Remix of The Colourist's "Little Games"
Last month, Cali quartet the Colourist released "Little Games," and St. Lucia just pulled a warm Balearic blanket over the whole thing, sanding away its rough edges with bright synths and lightly gated percussion.
Aaron Montaigne, Godfather of Screamo, is More Interesting Than You Can Ever Hope to Be - Part Two
On surviving combat in Iraq and Afghanistan with the help of magic, 'Bladerunner,' and everything in between.