Spectral Rehab started as a DJing partnership between myself and Ian Lawrence of Barge Recordings - we both DJed independently of each other, me focusing more on rap and electronic music and Ian going more towards reggae and soul. We fancied a platform where we could really mix things up. We've been running a night in Boston for a year or so now, and while it's a strict "anything goes" policy, there's a sound that we've slowly built up over the many, many times we've played together. This mix was lovingly pieced together over plenty of American beers, local seafood, and high end Tequila. It's about 99% vinyl (we couldn't source that Actress track on wax soon enough) and it pretty much showcases exactly what we like to do when we play records.
The basic idea is that, although there's plenty of tracks that might make you scratch your head, it's supposed to be fun - experimental music can be awesome, it doesn't have to be confined to sit-down-in-silence, beard-stroking exercises in awkward boredom. We're crate diggers for sure, but that uber-exclusive "my precious" mentality is not why we're both obsessed with tunes - music's there to be shared and enjoyed, right? These are all tunes we love to play out, and more importantly love to play with a few mates over - screaming at each other "You've got to fucking hear this one!" There's nothing particularly clever about that, but it is fun.
You can download the mix right here.
1. The Burning Intro
2. Echoplex - Dick Mills Blues (Public Information)
3. Human Teenager - Whites (In General) (Spectrum Spools)
4. Kenny Knotts - Call Me (Dubplate Mix) (Ruddy & Redeye)
5. John Wayne - Love It A Kill Me (Version) (Firehouse)
6. Pedestrian Deposit - Drift Gently Down The Tides of Sleep (Excerpt) (Arbor)
7. Actress - Shadow From Tartarus (Honest Jon's)
8. Omar-S - Bobien Larkin (FXHE)
9. Metro - Angel of Mercy (Rush Hour)
10. SND - 15/16 (Excerpt) (PAN)
11. Ben Vida - ssseeeeiiiiii (PAN)
12. Dixie Peach - Just Worries (Jah Tubby's)
13. Cicciolina Holocaust - Zigomar (Forced Nostalgia)
14. Nelson Gastaldi - Second Movement (Rorotorio)
15. Mount Eerie - The Mouth of Sky (MIDI Strings) (Atelier Ciseaux)
16. Kink Gong - AT (Horse) (Dicrepant)
17. Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - Visiting This (EN/OF)
18. Akos Rosmann - 12 Stationer VI I (Ideological Organ)
19. Robert Turman - Flux (Excerpt) (Spectrum Spools)
20. Sewer Election - Bilder Av Dig (Excerpt) (Throne Heap)
21. Pye Corner Audio - Toward Light (Type)
22. KMD - What A Nigga Know? (Metal Face)
23. Philippe D'Aram - Bizarre Cult 2 (Finders Keepers)
24. FRAK - Varja Dag (Digitalis)
25. Flower Man - Lawns, Dials, Notes… (Monofonus Press)
Ace of Base's Secret Nazi Past
Before he founded Ace of Base, Ulf Ekberg was a member of Commit Suiside, a Nazi punk band.
Parquet Courts - "Light Up Gold Road Trip" (Full Documentary)
In this new documentary, Noisey follows rising indie rockers Parquet Courts from Mexico to Texas and London as they tour to support their debut LP, 'Light Up Gold.'
Yung Lean Doer Is the Weirdest 16-Year-Old White Swedish Rapper You'll Hear This Week
Yung Lean raps over pillow-fluffy beats and raps about glory holes and Arizona Iced Tea. Who the fuck is this kid? And why is he like this?
Adam Ant - The British Masters, Chapter 6
Noisey's John Doran talks with the great post-punk pop star Adam Ant about tribal body mods and layering tape.
Photos: Taking Acid at Coachella
When Paley sent these photos in, she included a nice little caveat over email that we've decided to reprint here in full, not only because it's too good to edit, but because her photographs of her and her weird buddies riding the snake are some of the best
R.I.P. Storm Thorgerson (1944-2013)
On Thursday, the hyper-talented graphic designer, artist, and famed album cover creator Storm Thorgerson passed away after a battle with cancer. He was 69 years old.
The Internet Is Scary
As of six months ago, my Facebook fanpage is like a dojo where hormonal teenagers hone their technique. Here is a heartfelt poem from some kid who wants to rape, kill, and marry me.
I Accidentally Touched Little Richard's Butt One Time
It was in the Detroit airport. After it happened Little Richard said, "He graze my derriere."
Listen to St. Lucia's Remix of The Colourist's "Little Games"
Last month, Cali quartet the Colourist released "Little Games," and St. Lucia just pulled a warm Balearic blanket over the whole thing, sanding away its rough edges with bright synths and lightly gated percussion.
Aaron Montaigne, Godfather of Screamo, is More Interesting Than You Can Ever Hope to Be - Part Two
On surviving combat in Iraq and Afghanistan with the help of magic, 'Bladerunner,' and everything in between.